Skip to main content

Teething troubles

Source
My little one is teething pretty bad right now. He has four teeth and no sign of any more coming through apart from the crying, and not sleeping. He also has been shaking his head a lot, he done this before his last tooth came through. I'm hoping all this trouble these teeth are causing him means maybe a few are coming through at once.

I think the 'teething stage' is one of those milestones every parent dreads. The past couple weeks I've had a more than usual attached baby. I'll be trying to do housework with Xander crawling after me crying. It is so sad! I have to hold him most of the time, trying to comfort him meaning I don't get much done.

I have been bitten a fair amount of times too which is to be expected and pretty painful. I would just pick him up for a cuddle and he bites me, you can imagine what happens when I feed him. The other day when I made a little noise when Xander bit me and Ryker called to me and said 'Xander biting your nipple'... He is at that age now when he picks up things, I really need to watch what I say in front of him.

I have tried Calpol and a couple different teething gels but poor Xander still isn't coping too well. I had the same problem with Ryker when he was teething. Ryker started teething so early - at 4 weeks, and his first tooth came through at 6 weeks -, it was hard to find teething toys small enough for his mouth or teething gels that work for a baby so young.

I haven't had a good night sleep in weeks! It takes so long to settle Xander and when he does fall asleep it's not too long till he is up again. He doesn't exactly have the quietest of cries either... He had a goodish night last night only waking up twice but settling quicker than he has been. I really want to get him into the cot but feel to guilty to do it whilst he is teething. I also want to ease him off breastfeeding as mentioned previously, it is pretty painful now but he uses it as a comfort so that is proving hard too.

I know a lot of mums are going through this; feeling helpless, tired, and with a long to do list. We all just got to remember its not forever, any 'bad patch' comes with good.

I used this teething toy for Ryker when he was a bit older. It was too big for his mouth at the start but when he could use it it worked really well. It could be put in the fridge to cool the gums. Its easy for them to grip and has different sections they can chew on. I brought mine from Morrisons for around £5, this one below is on amazon and cost a bit more money but is on SALE at the moment. If you want to buy one you can use the link below at no extra cost to you but it will help me get accepted on the amazon affiliate programme.

Although when I was looking on Amazon there is a bit more of a range of teething toys available. They also do teething mittens which I wasn't aware off, has any one tried them? 

 If you have any advice for me or want to share your teething stories then feel free to comment below. Thank you for reading.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Bucket list

I studied Travel and tourism at college, during the two years I spent studying I built up a long list of places I want to visit. I've listed my top 28, putting them in to categor ies of continents. 

Activated charcoal experiment

I've recently heard of activated charcoal and all the benefits that come with it. I've decided to buy a tub of activated charcoal tablets and try it out myself. Over the next two weeks I want to try 2 different activated charcoal experiments and document my progress to see if activated charcoal really is as good as everyone says.

Potty training: first two weeks

Ryker will be starting nursery in September so I think it's about time he learnt to go to the toilet on his own. He has also been showing signs by letting me know when his nappy is full, holding himself before he has his wee, and even bringing me a nappy and wipes. I've read lots of stories about how stressful potty training can be and I'm not the best at coping with stress so I knew this wasn't going to be easy for either of us. Here's a little summary of how the first two weeks went...