Skip to main content

My view on: Forcing children to eat.


I was watching 'This Morning' the other day and they were discussing whether or not you should force a child to eat their food if they are saying they don't like it or don't want it. Two woman with different opinions were on the show. If you force feed them it can cause more problems but if you don't force feed then you're making it harder on yourself. Here's my opinion...

Ryker was and still is a fussy eater, although there is a big improvement to what he used to be like. I don't agree with forcing your child by giving punishments, or by making them sit there for hours making them eat. I do however agree that you shouldn't offer alternatives. When a child sees something new they automatically put their guard up and think that looks different I'm not trying that and if you give into them and don't at least let them try it then you're just going to make it harder on yourself and if you have a few kids you could end up cooking at least 2 different dinners each day (my mum had to do this as I was a fussy eater). 

Here's what I do.... I'll plate up Rykers food with at least one thing I know he will like and then get him to try the "new" food on his plate. If he tries it then that's progress even if he doesn't eat it or say's that he doesn't like it. If he doesn't try it, he wont get any alternative which is why I plate up something I know he will eat because that way he isn't thinking he is getting an alternative for what he says he doesn't like and I'm satisfied knowing that he has eaten something. Whether he tries it or not, I will continue to put it on his plate and each time he tries a bit more even if it takes 10 refusals he eventually will get curious. This has worked with so many different types of foods; Sausage, burger, peas, beans, even cheese which is now his favourite. Tomatoes are proving pretty difficult but he has tried them a few times so I am making progress. 

I did try the "force them method". I would have him sitting there until he finishes or until bedtime. That just ended in him getting worked up and me getting worked up. I even noticed that he would get worked up about having to eat before I even gave him any food. 

He now suggests to try things, asking me if he can try what I'm eating. 

This method worked so well for me and mealtimes are ALOT easier now. This doesn't mean it will work for everyone. It is tedious cooking meals that you have to throw away but it's worth it in the long run. Xander on the other hand loves his food, hoping it stays that way.

Thank you for reading, feel free to comment with your opinions.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Bucket list

I studied Travel and tourism at college, during the two years I spent studying I built up a long list of places I want to visit. I've listed my top 28, putting them in to categor ies of continents. 

Activated charcoal experiment

I've recently heard of activated charcoal and all the benefits that come with it. I've decided to buy a tub of activated charcoal tablets and try it out myself. Over the next two weeks I want to try 2 different activated charcoal experiments and document my progress to see if activated charcoal really is as good as everyone says.

Potty training: first two weeks

Ryker will be starting nursery in September so I think it's about time he learnt to go to the toilet on his own. He has also been showing signs by letting me know when his nappy is full, holding himself before he has his wee, and even bringing me a nappy and wipes. I've read lots of stories about how stressful potty training can be and I'm not the best at coping with stress so I knew this wasn't going to be easy for either of us. Here's a little summary of how the first two weeks went...